Welcome to the fresh GardenLife Blog — California’s top gardening radio show for 15 years, and now your top source for garden illumination coast to coast. Visit GardenLife.com for our Home Page

Friday, November 23, 2012

The Orchid That Keeps on Giving!

Growing amongst my cymbidiums is what I believe to be a 'Green Hornet' Encyclia, a hybrid orchid, but some orchid taxonomists insist it is Prosthechea Green Hornet while others consider it an Epidendrum. Taxonomy arguments aside, I am enthralled with my Green Hornet. It is a hardy, steadfast bloomer and its flowers are aptly named with chartreuse green, octopus-like outer petals and a deep, purplish-black labelllum. With very little care, it has bloomed for me throughout the entire year. Once the spikes have formed, the flowers stay on FOREVER, even now that the evening temperatures have begun to dip into the 50s range. Although you can grow it as a houseplant in bright, indirect sunlight, mine seems to be happiest outdoors in a shaded area where a brick wall protects it from the cold winter winds. It is the one orchid that keeps on giving me blooms, and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment