Welcome to the fresh GardenLife Blog — California’s top gardening radio show for 15 years, and now your top source for garden illumination coast to coast. Visit GardenLife.com for our Home Page

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Common Bluetail Damselfly

This weekend's top of my to-do list included cleaning out the fish pond and clipping back the overgrown water plants. Fortunately the weather was warm and so was the water as I sloshed about scrubbing off the residue algae, pruning back plants that had overstepped their boundaries and skimming up all the floating gunk. Sometimes mindless tasks such as cleaning a pond can be very relaxing, especially with our resident birds providing a chirping songfest. Perhaps out of curiosity about the strange interloper splashing and thrashing in the pond, a common bluetail damselfly lit upon a nearby rock to oversee my activities. It stayed for quite a long time, occasionally opening and closing its wings as if to catch the warming rays of the sun. As luck would have it, I had my camera with me and took its picture just before it lit away. I have no idea why it is called the common bluetail damselfly, because its radiant beauty is anything but common.

No comments:

Post a Comment