Welcome to the fresh GardenLife Blog — California’s top gardening radio show for 15 years, and now your top source for garden illumination coast to coast. Visit GardenLife.com for our Home Page

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Planting Mighty 'Matos Grafted Tomatoes



The first photo is when my Might 'Matos arrived in their secure boxes on March 31. Although they came as 2"-pot-size plants, they grew quickly. Knowing that I needed a bit more time to get the raised beds ready, I transplanted them into roomier 1-gallon pots. In less than 2 weeks, their roots filled their temporary homes and now that they are in their permanent raised bed, they should really be able to spread out. I wonder which one will bear the first ripe tomato??? The race is on, but I am sure all of them will "save the day" so that I won't have to buy a grocery-store tomato for many, many months. Despite the traumas of being uprooted from 2-inch to 1-gallon pots and then to their raised bed, you can see from the second photograph that they have still managed to stretch their height to over 12-inches in 18 days. The Mighty 'Mato shipping boxes are another way to compare their growth. Since I have prepped one more raised bed, I ordered 4 more Mighty 'Matos to arrive next week for a total of 12 plants. With the anticipated bumper crop, I hope to share with family and friends throughout the summer and fall seasons. Let me know how your Mighty 'Matos are coming along!

No comments:

Post a Comment