Welcome to the fresh GardenLife Blog — California’s top gardening radio show for 15 years, and now your top source for garden illumination coast to coast. Visit GardenLife.com for our Home Page

Friday, February 10, 2012

My Favorite Camellia, 'High Fragrance'


In my winter garden along one side of the house, I grow several camellias in pots because they thrive much better in an acid potting medium rather than planted directly in my alkaline soil. The first to bloom is my favorite, a hybrid, peony-form camellia known as 'High Fragrance.' True to its name it bears lusciously-perfumed blossoms that bring warmth and joy to my heart. The plant is about 7 years old and grows upright bearing prolific clusters of perfumed buds. The semi-double flowers not only perfume the air, but their shell-pink color edged in deeper pink make wonderful "floaters" in bowls I have placed in almost every room of our home. When I am close to a 'High Fragrance' flower, I close my eyes, inhale its heady scent and think of spring even though it is February. As with all camellias, I fertilize with cottonseed meal after the bloom season is over.





No comments:

Post a Comment